Monday, September 13, 2010

New Job

8 days into my new job . . . 8 days outside of my comfort zone.

Growing up, I always liked school. I'll admit, there were some days I just wanted to socialize or I just couldn't focus in on homework, but overall I LOVED learning! College really brought out my love of learning and learning a variety of things. My college experience taught me to embrace the new, challenge the norm, and question my surroundings. After graduation, I had a feeling that a "grown up job" wouldn't be the same as college, that I wouldn't have the same type of learning environment. My theory has only been half right, my new job has thrown me so many unknown obstacles. The skills I learned in college have definitely come in handy but I feel like I am playing the catch up game. Everything is so new! The terms, the organization, the computer programs, my brain is working just as hard as it did in school.

I so far love my new job. My coworkers are great, I enjoy the work they have given me, and I love making money! I am also so excited about the experience I am gaining. I am already excited to apply for my next job (in the future) and brag about the skills I gained at The Langdon Group!

I am so proud of my job and what it provides for the communities in Utah. The Langdon Group is a Public Involvement agency that facilitates communication flow between communities and community projects. UDOT is our main client and they often hire us to provide communiction flow between cities and neighborhoods that are affected by road construction. But that isn't quite the reason why I am proud of my job. "Public Involvement" is a new subgroup of the communication field. 10 years ago, PI didn't exist, but The Langdon Group is helping pioneer and shape a whole new type of communication!

With all of that said, I do miss school. I hate being in a cubicle all day . . . it squashes all creativity. It's been difficult getting used to waking up early five days a week, my body definitely doesn't like the 5:30 a.m. alarm. And I don't like the lack of free time. Homework took up my free time in college, but atleast I had the weekend. Now, with a job, my weekends are spent catching up on cleaning and sleeping.

So there's the update. I am loving my new job but I am already making mental notes when/if I need to find a new one. #1 on my list, I need a job that doesn't require me sitting in a cubicle ALL of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment