Tuesday, July 27, 2010

AMPed!



Take a second to reflect on the past year . . . what was the best decision you have made in the past 12 months? The best decision I have made this year was joining AMP, the Alumni Mentoring Program.

AMP is a Westminster College program that matches current students with alumni mentors that are working in an industry of interest to the student. Since last September, I met with my mentor (Amy) once a month and we talked about work and life. Along with meeting an alum, I also met with a group of other AMP students once a month. Although I am not allowed to say what went on during our Saturday meetings (it's called the Vegas Rule, what happens in AMP stays in AMP) the disscussions we had changed my way of thinking and in many aspects, changed my life. I loved my experience so much I wish everyone I know could have the opportunity to have a similar experience!




Last night we had an AMP reunion and although I know it won't be the last, it sure felt like the last hurraw before all of us go our separate ways and continue on our life journey. This meeting was different than the meetings before, there was little structure to our conversations, instead we just talked about our lives since April and how things have changed in such a short time. Out of our group of 10, 3 are currently getting ready for graduate school and soon they will leave Westminster. We even had to Skype one friend who is currently in New York. 2 members of our group are beginning their lives away from school and with a family. And the rest of us are finding jobs and figuring out where we fit within the career world. All of that in less than 3 months! It's like time is on fast forward, our lives are diverging.

I can't repeat what went on in AMP but I would like to give you a taste of the program by sharing the thought of the day:

Money can be spent and money can be regained but once time has gone it is forever lost.

In the present society, we tend to go about our busy life with no regard to the moments and memories that slip by and once the moments have passed we can never have them back. Maybe if we all take a moment everyday to let time stand still and reflect on the moment and the lives that are currently intertwined with ours, we will become less of a victim to time.


Seize the Day!

You're only young once.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love AMP! I will have to put together a reunion for my group when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see you last night, Jen. I hope it is not our last hurraw and that we will get together again and again.

    ReplyDelete